Select Page
Traveling to Mexico with Pets by Car

If you are traveling from the United States and Canada, it is NOT necessary to present your pet’s Health certificate, you just have to contact the official Senasica staff at the Mexican crossing who will perform a physical inspection of your pet. For more information, visit the official website Traveling with your pet.

If you plan to travel to Mexico with a pet (dog or cat) by car, it is important that you know what are the requirements, documents and the steps to follow when entering Mexico.


Documents y Requirements

  • Presentar un Certificado de Salud con vigencia de no más de 15 días desde su expedición en original y copia. Que cumpla los siguientes puntos:
  • Bring a Health Certificate valid for no more than 15 days from its issuance in original and copy. That meets the following points:

    • Issued by an official veterinarian or if it is private, on letterhead, with the number of the professional license printed or a photocopy of it (or its equivalent)

    • Name and address of the exporter (in country of origin or provenance) and of the importer (destination address in Mexico).

    • Date of application of the rabies vaccine and its validity (animals under 3 months of age are exempt). You can show the Vaccination Record with the required information at this point.

    • That in the pre-trip inspection, the animal(s) were found to be clinically healthy.

    • That the animal or animals have been dewormed internally and externally, within the previous six months and are free of ectoparasites.

    • If you do not comply with the above, you must contact a Veterinary Doctor (of your choice and on your own in Mexico), who will issue the health certificate and apply the corresponding treatment.

  • The pet must be in a carrier or container, clean, without bedding, without implements or accessories (toys, treats, prizes or other objects, made with ingredients of ruminant origin), otherwise, they will be removed for destruction. The transporter or container will receive a preventive treatment by spraying by the official personnel of Agriculture-Senasica; Your pet can enter with your collar, leash, etc.

  • You can enter the portion of the day of balanced food in bulk. Remember that in Mexico there is this type of food that has the Registration and Authorization of Senasica.


Physical Inspection 

At the border crossing, you must contact the official Senasica staff to carry out an Import Certificate for your pet, the official will carry out a physical and document inspection to verify the following points:

  • Show no signs of infectious diseases

  • That it does not present fresh wounds or in the process of healing

  • That it is free of ectoparasites.


During inspección

  • If during the physical inspection ectoparasites are detected, you should contact a veterinarian of your choice and at your own expense to apply an effective treatment .
  • If a tick is detected, the staff will take a sample for diagnosis in the official laboratory. In addition, they will verify that all specimens found on your pet are removed.
  • The Agricultural Health Inspection Office (OISA) will safeguard your pet until the laboratory result is obtained to rule out that they are exotic specimens for Mexico or are subject to a sanitary campaign.

Once you have satisfactorily completed the inspection, the officer will prepare the Import Certificate for your pet


Important Note

Once you have satisfactorily completed the inspection, the officer will prepare the Import Certificate for your pet.

In case of crossing into Mexico without the required documents, the animal(s) must remain in the Sanitary Inspection Office until a Veterinarian reviews and certifies the state of health and applies the anti-rabies vaccine and the parasiticide preventive treatment to continue with the import procedure. This can cause setbacks and costs that the pet owner must bear.


Other Articles of Interest