Frequent Asked Questions about Rental Vehicles
Is it posible to buy Mexico car insurance on a rented vehicle?
Yes, it is possible to buy it, we only have to consider two important things:
The car must be rented in the United States or Canada. It must not have Mexican plates.
You must have a permit from the rental company that authorizes the departure of the rented vehicle outside the United States or Canada. The permission must be in writing to ensure that you can show it to Mexican authorities or insurers in Mexico if necessary.
Is it posible to buy Mexico car insurance on a vehicle loaned by a friend or relative?
On many occasions, people choose to travel to Mexico taking a car borrowed from a family member or friends. In these cases, it is totally possible to acquire auto insurance for Mexico, just consider that:
You must have a permit from the owner of the vehicle that authorizes the departure of the loaned vehicle outside the United States or Canada. The permission must be in writing to ensure that you can show it to the Mexican authorities or the insurance company in Mexico if necessary.
Is it posible to buy Mexico car insurance on a vehicle from my work?
If you plan to travel in a vehicle that belongs to the company where you work, you can purchase Mexican auto insurance considering that:
- You must have a permit from your company that authorizes the departure of the vehicle outside the United States or Canada. The permission must be in writing to ensure that you can show it to the Mexican authorities or the insurance company in Mexico if necessary.
Please note that Tourist policies for foreign vehicles while in Mexico are to cover personal use of passenger vehicles, vehicles for commercial use are not covered.
Seguro de Auto para Mexico en Autos Rentados
Written Permission or Permission Letter
Written permission is a simple letter that contains the following information:
- The license plate number, year, make, model and serial number of the vehicle.
- The name of the rental company or the name of the owner who lends the vehicle.
- The name to whom you are renting or lending the car.
- The dates on which the car will be in Mexico and the date of the elaboration of the letter.
- The signature of the company representative or vehicle owner.
- The corresponding signature(s).
- The permit must be notarized and have the seal of the notary.
Example of a Permission Letter
To whom it may concern
I, (name of the company or name of the vehicle owner), grant the authorization to (name of the person who rents or to whom the vehicle is loaned) to use the vehicle with plates (plate number) in México as of the day (date you enter to México) until (date you return to the USA)
( name of the company or name of the vehicle owner )
( corresponding signature )
Make sure you have the permit or authorization letter along with all the vehicle documents and the Mexican insurance policy always with you.
Travel to México without a Permission Letter
It is very risky to travel to Mexico without a permission letter when the car you are traveling in is not under your name. Since in case of having an accident or being stopped by the Mexican authorities for a traffic violation you can have serious problems. Seeing that you are not the owner of the vehicle and you do not have a permission letter, they can confiscate the car until it can be proven that it is not a stolen vehicle. Mexico Car Insurance Rental